Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Cancer Card




I want to introduce this weblog. I am Sylvan Mason and I am a professional photographer, and my website is here. This is just an explanation of the title of my diary.


Most people are horrified by the words chemotherapy and breast cancer and imagine you go into a black hole from which you may never return. This diary is intended to be a positive and, I hope, lighthearted 'romp' through my personal experience by which I would like to help others in the same situation. The "cancer card" is one of the many benefits that you receive with cancer. It can be "pulled out" to parking attendants; people you don't want to have dinner with (as in "I'm not quite up to it today); cinema attendants (as in "I'm afraid I can't stand in that queue, I'm on week one of chemotherapy") and direct debits to things like the NUJ and the BIPP. (Would you mind if I was let off my subscription for the next six months as I've got breast cancer? I'm on chemo and I'm not able to work until the spring".) They say yes, and let you keep the benefits.


Then you get to get up when you like, eat when you like, play with your computer toys all day long. You don't have to work. You can spend hours on the phone to your friends each day, which I never had time to do before. People drop round with sandwiches and soup for lunch and never expect you to pay in restaurants. Your children suddenly recognise your value and worth. They cannot do enough for you. For the first time in years, they look at you lovingly, instead of raising their eyes to the ceiling whenever you speak.


I will continue this diary shortly, if the chemo or the cancer doesn't kill me first. Meanwhile, thank you to my friend Ruth Gledhill for getting me started.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sylvan ,
I read with interest your beautifully written blog and will follow your journey with great optomism . Ones attitude ,I beleive has some bearing on the outcome and after reading your blog which is without , "the poor me syndrome " and is written in a clear concise manner will give people who are undergoing similar events in their lives great strength and much needed hope . I too have had treatment for cancer , some years ago now and am enjoying remission and a fuller life than I did previously . The photgraphs at your daughters wedding are very beautiful indeed .I will remember what the late Patrick Walker said about the fallow periods being preperation for better things to come . I admire your courage and strength and wish you very special wishes as you travel through the great journey that is life .

Anonymous said...

Dear Sylvan
I just wanted to let you know that since reading your diary I see cancer in a completely new light. You've made me realise that as well as the deep fear and pain, there can be a positive, fulfilling side to having a serious illness. I think you have a tremendous amount of courage and faith and have a great deal to tell.