Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve - 3 Down - 3 To Go


CHRISTMAS EVE

Its Christmas Eve. I had my third chemo yesterday so I’m nearly half way through the 6 cycles. Frances Topp collected me at 9.00 and spent the morning with me at the Marsden whilst I had blood tests taken, was weighed and saw the Doctor to be pronounced fit enough to be nuked again. The chemicals are then made up according to your bodyweight and there is then at least an hour's a wait for them to be made up so that they are fresh.

Frances is someone I have known since my "Music Week" days. Her husband Rodney Burbeck, used to be the Editor and she is a brilliant picture researcher who was working at the BBC when I ran into her again in 1994 just before she was diagnosed herself with the same ductile type of cancer and was successfully treated with the same FEC chemo that I am being zapped with. That was nine years ago and she looked a picture of health and energy yesterday which was most encouraging. It is so helpful to compare notes with someone who has trod this path before and it seems that the side effects have been improved greatly in the years since she had treatment.

I am really beginning to enjoy these two hour – fairly uninterrupted chats with friends whilst sitting in the cheerful waiting room at the Marsden. I have got to know a lot more about them and it is a very bonding experience that they seem to enjoy too.

Mary Morris arrived at 12 noon to spend the afternoon session with me.
The Staff had organised a little Christmas treat for us with a trolly full of wine (last thing that would have been good for me but Frances enjoyed a tipple) sandwiches and crisps and biscuits and sweets. Then the freezing cold cap was put on and the six syringes of chemicals went in, and Mary and I had a good long chat too. The canula went in smoothly first time, but the only thing I was slightly nervous about was that the nurses were clearly suffering from lack of sleep due to their Christmas party taking place the evening before and most of them had had only three hours sleep. They would not admit to hangovers, but when I got to see the doctor another patient’s notes had been brought in by mistake, however, due to the extremely careful checking system “What is your date of birth”, the error was rectified immediately. I am getting to know a few faces in the room who are on the same three week schedule as me and we wished each other a Happy Christmas as I left with Mary.

Since then I have been feeling pretty well and have been able to complete my last minute shopping and errands fairly easily. Wrapped up the last presents this evening and then the tired grey cloud descended and I have been asleep on the sofa since the final of Strictly Come Dancing which I just missed the result of but expect that Mark and partner won.

A big load of cards arrived this morning – all with especially loving messages this year. A funny cartoon one from my ex, and there was even one from Roger – my last disastrous experiment with hope over experience. He was sorry to hear I have a serious illness and said that in spite of our acrimonious break up six years ago, he had been very fond of me, which was really nice of him and any left over resentment has now gone. He also apologised for his part in things. I hope I never forget how powerful a sincere apology can be and I shall now return the compliment and we can at least be on nodding terms again if we bump into each other one day

This was a funny message on another card that came today:

There have been many, many times in 2006 when I may have
Disturbed you …
Troubled you …
Pestered you …
Irritated you …
Bugged you …

But today I just want to tell you that in 2007

I PLAN TO CONTINUE!!!!!!


Brilliant!!! I might put that on mine next year!

It’s now 2.31am on Christmas Ever and I shall go to bed in a minute and expect to be pretty out of it tomorrow and Monday I but don’t have to and am not expected do a thing, thank goodness. Aimi and co will come over and prepare the Christmas table for about 12 now – two more lonely souls have been added, so it’s time to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year and hit the sack.

3 down – 3 to go!

No comments: