Friday, September 7, 2007

All Shall Be Well, and All Shall Be Well, and All Manner of Things Shall Be Well! (Julian of Norwich)



A wispy breeze moves the pink sprays of bougainvillea that now proliferate up one side and along the top of the terrace.

The dainty flowers o
f a pale blue Plumbago dance gently.


There is a faint tinkling from the owl chimes – a present for Chris and Lisa, now hanging from the branch of an olive tree that stands by the pool here in Cala St Vincenc.

In front of me on the small white terrace table lies a blue bowl of diced pears and black grapes in yoghurt with a desert spoonful of flaxseed (an omega 3 must), a glass of water, various pills – mostly vitamins - and a mug of Earl Grey tea.

The doctor has allowed me to take a two week break from the punishing Arimidex tablet and my muscles have eased up again. The surface of the azure blue pool is rippling and awaits my body when I am too hot from lying in the sun.

I have no plans for the last two days of my holiday. I am alone - I am in bliss!!. All is well, All is peaceful and still - bar the twittering of sparrows in the distance on this perfect 1st of September day in Mallorca.

Aimi and co left yesterday as there is organising to do for Mia´s forthcoming school term and, I have another two days in which to luxuriate and relax after a fun, friends and family filled fortnight.

Cousin Christopher has again, most generously lent us the villa in this charming and pretty village.

I am so relishing my freedom and lack of pressure. This early evening, when the sun is at its best light (after 5pm and before 10am is always the best light, by the way, if you are into photography) I plan to venture forth to the sound of my own flip flops to capture the beauty that surrounds me without a “Come on Mama” from Mia or a “Hurry Up Mum” from Aimi. When the sun has gone I may slip into the local Karaoke bar and sing a couple of songs to my hearts content where I can be anonymous. I suddenly hear the strains of “It´s just a Perfect Day……… !"

We had a fun family last day together yesterday. Swimming in the morning, paella lunch at the Alba restaurant on the beach, followed by a session of mini-golf - complete with helpful white cat, and 10 day tattoos for the children (and for me!!)

And I am now sporting a dragonfly on my right shoulder blade (They didn´t have a boot, Russell!).

Home for supper and a vicious game of Hearts accompanied by several words that the children were not mean´t to hear from Massimo and myself.

Then a walk down to the village for a last drink where at last I got to sing “The Rose” in the Trotters karaoke bar whilst the others hid in embarrassment at the smart and trendy Art CafĂ© across the road.







The highlight of the trip was the 'Leapy Lee Flying Curry Circus'
experience at the Son Boronat Farmhouse
on Tuesday night.

Son Boronat is a romantic, rustic and crumbling old farmhouse down a long windy bumpy lane in Calvia just north of Palma and is an unique, not to be missed experience, if you are visiting Mallorca. www.sonboronat.com info@sonboronat.com;

After drinks at twighlight in the flag stoned courtyard and a warm welcome from dearest old friend and Aimi´s Godfather, Leapy Lee Graham, we were ushered into the candlelit dining room which housed a gigantic old wooden olive press . The delicious scent of lilies or jasmine and old wood and candles filled the air and one of Spain´s most talented guitarists was gently playing ‘Rodrigo’ in the corner.

The three large bowls of curry of varying strengths were laid out on a long table on top of burners and had been lovingly prepared by Leapy himself the previous day. We all filed up to help ourselves. Sliced banana, cucumber and onion dishes sat on our tables and piles of poppadoms were delivered from the kitchen. Even the seven year old in our party commented on how delicious the (mild) curry was and nearly everyone went back for second helpings.

Leapy in his unique and magical way, fussed round us and made each person feel special and welcome. After the meal, he picked up his guitar, and, in terrific form, serenaded us with songs and jokes. We were all encouraged to sing along and accompany him on spoons and glasses or anything else that made a noise which we did with gusto.

After a much too long gap, it was wonderful to see Loretta, his second oldest daughter again, and to meet her family.

It was worth every mile of the drive from the North of the Island to Calvia, and the children played his ’Drift Away’ cd all the way home after a very happy evening.

Frenchie and Amica and the children were here also for a couple of days when we arrived, having rented the villa from Chris the previous two
weeks.









Next, Jenny Lee-Wright Evans, Robin and the triplets arrived to spend a week with us. The triplets are twelve now and three nicer pre-teenagers you couldn´t wish to meet (enjoy it while you may Jen!!!). They have been beautifully brought up and were helpful and delightful guests. I have been photographing them for their Christmas card for 11 Christmases now – ever sincethey were one year old when we propped them up on Jen´s bed with red and green balloons.

In those days when you visited you were handed a baby and a bottle at the front door upon arrival – all hands to the pump with triplets! I took this year´s picture here (below) before they left – and we have decided to do a calendar for Christmas this year with a photo for every month as they grew up from one to twelve.








Chris and Lisa also joined us for four days and we had a barbeque waiting for them when they arrived exhausted from cold and wintry uk.

The TV and Sky arial was hit by lighting during the tropical storms we had in the first couple of days and has killed the TV set, so there has been no Eastenders or News broadcasts for me or cartoons and movies to keep the children occupied.


Have we missed the TV –NO, Have I missed my computer – NO.


A phone call from Naughtiness, who has managed to escape from Fort Knox for an hour, has broken the solitude and put a big smile in my heart, and I´ve just seen a bit of pink bourganvillea hanging from the balcony, beautifully backlit by sunlight against a clear blue sky that I must try and capture, so I´ll be off now – will report back next from cold and clammy London where the dreaded Arimidex waits!!!!

No comments: