Thursday, November 30, 2006

When you do what you're doing

Barry - my ex, came to see me in hospital the day after my operation. He sat by my bed in tears having read my little book of condolences (nice things written by kind friends) that Avril had given me. We hadn't spoken for several years but he had been kind enough to phone me and send flowers after diagnosis, and I was pleased to see him.

We talked about the breakup of our marriage several years ago, and he said he had been devasted when we split up. "I didn't think you liked me very much" I said. "I didn't know how I felt till you left me” he said.

I still have my guitar. It is hanging on my wall and I must start playing it again now that I have the time. It was given to me by an American called Bunky Knudsen CEO of General Motors who we visited in Detroit when we went over to see John DeLaurion who was then his right hand man and prodigy. John was about to get married again and asked Barry and I to write a song about his bride Kelly which we did. He arranged for us to record "I Love You Kelly" at one of the huge Tamla Motown studios. There was just me and my guitar in a tiny corner of this vast studio with a microphone putting down the music and then Barry and I sang harmonies on it.It was sung at John and Kelly's wedding.

This video clip was recorded in 1969 and features me and Barry singing When You Do What You're Doing which was released on MCA records.





We had had a row in the dressing room just before we recorded this video and it was hard to look lovingly at each other! I think I did better than Barry!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are an expert in this field, you really got some great points there, thanks.

- Robson

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog