Friday, December 1, 2006

R.I.P Kevin McClory

Yesterday was the last day of the 1st cycle and I was feeling as well as I’m going to feel physically, but anxious because I had taken on a photographic assignment in the evening that involved 7 hours on my feet wielding cameras, and rushing about. I am 2 months out of hospital for major surgery, currently undergoing chemotherapy and a pensioner! The event was the Elior Awards of Excellence. Elior is a Catering company par magnificence. I have worked with them for nearly 20 years. First, when they were ‘High Table’, then when they were taken over by ‘Avenance’ and now as ‘Elior’. They run the in-house catering for the head offices of companies such as Deutsche Bank in the City and Marks and Spencers and a multitude of others and I didn’t want to risk losing their business and need some money for Christmas presents so I took the booking.

HN suggested that I rest all day so I put my feet up and ‘received’ several phone calls from Barry Fitzgerald (Edison Lighthouse original member of the group;) Caroline Upton; Lisa; Jenny about the triplets’ annual Christmas card, Caroline Hollingrake about her baby’s Christmas pix, Zelda about her computer (have put her on to Winston) Avril, Connie and Henry to wish me good luck for tomorrow; an invitation to Lesley McCormack’s Christmas party on 21st December; a royalty cheque from EMI for £150 for “We Don’t Belong”, and sadly, emails from Graham Rye (Double-O-Seven magazine) and Andrew Lycett (Ian Fleming biographer) announcing the news of Kevin McClory’s death on November 20th.

McCLORY, Kevin Nov. 21, 2006, (peacefully), surrounded by his family. He will be remembered for his love and larger than life presence in the lives of his family and friends. Cremation Service has taken place privately. A celebration of Kevin's life will take place at a later date. As Ned Kelly always said “Such is Life”!

It’s strange to think that Jon, my brother, and I are now the only survivors who were present when the first James Bond screenplay was being created in 1959. In spite of our differences with Kevin - he was a rogue but a charming one, and someone you couldn’t help being fond of in spite of all our grievances on behalf of Dad. May he Rest In Peace now.

Mass and I set off for the awards in a cab at 4.30 and arrived at The Tower of London an hour later. The Ceremony was in a massive marquee erected inside the Moat on the north side of the Tower. I felt a bit unsteady to begin with and my eyes were still a bit watery, but gathered speed and strength once we got going and could have gone on to the after party but, sensibly, came home at midnight to get some sleep before tomorrow when the 2nd cycle begins!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Mason,

I want to thank you for sharing the story of your life with others. It is of great help to me. I am the teacher of a girl whose mother is receiving chemotherapy and I have to support the child. In your story I find the support I need to do that.

I wish you get your health back. Spyros Kasimatis

Anonymous said...

about sylvan..................
even before,during and we're sure
after this ordeal.........we love
the way she treats people....with
love,respect and humor.......which
is also the way she lives and conducts her life.................
god bless her

ckgc