Thursday, April 19, 2007

Farewells and Fortnum's

His Naughtiness phoned to say goodbye this morning. He is on his way back to Fort Knox and the Medical Unit at the U.S. Army School in Kentucky. He will try and keep in touch, but it will be difficult from there. I felt a great wave of sadness and a feeling of loss today which only lifted slightly when I met my good friends Cynthia Rogers and Maxine Thomas for a wicked tea at Fortnum & Mason’s in Picadilly – (less than 24 hours since re-joining Weight Watchers!!) and I tucked in to smoked salmon finger sandwiches; two scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam and a small chocolate mousse, to drown my sorrows whilst the pianist with a beautiful smile played "Feelings" on a grand piano in the centre of the room. We had a most interesting discussion about the rise and fall of powerful men. - Cynthia's father, the distinguished writer Robert Coughlan having ghosted "Time to Remember" the Matriarchal Rose Kennedy's memoirs - and travel, Maxine being off to to various countries in the Southern Antipodes soon.




Main pic: "Not in each other's shade" K Gibran/Sylvan














Naughtiness has been such a source of delight and support over the past few weeks and I will miss my young admirer and his loving late night phone calls. Bon voyage Russell Herring – safe journey. Don’t forget me please.

Tonight I had supper with darling Jane Russell, not the movie star, but nevertheless a very glamorous and exotic 82 year old who lives in Belgravia, and has had a most interesting life in her career with the Washington Post and a racy past! She claims over 100 male lovers - and one female - and has a wonderful sense of humour! We had Shepherds Pie and peas and mixed yoghurts to follow. She has kindly suggested that this blog should be a book and that we should try and get it published and raise some money for one of the Cancer Charities, and I went to discuss how to accomplish this with her help whilst I treated her with Native American Indian Hopi candles to clear her ears. She has some great ideas on how to proceed, and when it is finished I shall have a go!

Mia is on half term holiday and has had a shot at writing an essay on Rome and The Romans having watched a short video. It is a one line essay, and is goes like this:

ROME

I think it is

mostly about

billdings.

Mia (aged 8)


Her doting Mama (we don’t use the g....ma word!) of course thinks she is
brilliant, and if you had to write an essay about Rome in one sentence this shows a touch of genius and is amazingly and accurately succinct.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with Jane................

and Mia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

caught up wih your blog...honestly Sylvan it is so moving....but you don't make us pity you....in fact... with all your friends and outings...you manage more than most....and we almost envy you.... the visit to the hospital and the other people there so descriptive I could picture immediately....I am not surprised that a certain person is interested in returning into your life.

I do have the advantage that your other blog readers don't have and that is that I know the sound of your voice.....and as I read it I can hear you saying everything.... and really, parts bring a lump to my throat....how about trying to get this blog on radio...woman's hour ...afternoon theatre...something along those lines....especially in October... when that is the big drive for breast cancer. Re the book.....The Cancer Card....it must contain all those photographs....because that tells your story as well.....a distinct advantage over people who are no good with the camera.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sylvan,

You made my day - I greatly enjoyed reading your latest 'Cancer Card' although it nearly made me cry. However, the two 'funnies' you sent me were so hillarious that I was laughing out loud!!

lots and lots of love, as always,

Jane xxxxx